Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thailand in June

The trip began with a lovely night spent sleeping at the gate in Bangkok. We stayed in Koh Samui for 2 nights, then took a boat to Koh Tao where we stayed another 2 nights. From Koh Tao we took an overnight boat to Chumphon, landed in the morning and then made our way to the west coast to Khao Sok National Park.

This was only 8 hours into the trip...

During our 2 hour journey from Koh Samui north to Koh Tao.

In Koh Tao we hired a guy to take us around the island for the day, dropping us off in the best diving spots for some snorkeling.

Making our way around Koh Tao, the weather got very dark for a moment, threatening to storm, and then cleared up as quickly as it came.

The "Night Boat." We knew it was not going to be a cruise, but we weren't quite ready for just how 'budget' it was... the stranger next to me kicked, hit, and rolled over me while asleep all night long. I never got one minute of sleep the entire time, as our boat rolled over waves, and I counted the minutes.

After a night and a day of traveling, we arrive at Khao Sok, and are picked up by our hotel "Morning Mist" from the highway.

The moment we arrived at Morning Mist we signed up for "tubing down the river" that afternoon, the "Night Safari" that night, and the "1 day lake tour" the following day. Each of these were amazing. I would recommend to anyone to stay at Morning Mist in Khao Sok National Park.
During the Night Safari we saw lots of creatures included a flying lizard (below, which glided from the treetops and crashed right into our guide), bats, tarantulas, spiders, snakes.

A bat snacking on dinner from a branch overhead.

A tarantula that our guide was poking at with a stick.
A sider that was about 5-6 inches long.
A snake that didn't seem happy to woken up.

The next day we did the lake tour. The government dammed up the river in Khao Sok a while back, and the result is a stunning lake that reminds me of Guilin, except you can swim in the water, and it's filled with exotic wildlife.

Our last night in Khao Sok... tomorrow we fly to Bangkok, then fly back to Shanghai in the morning... just in time to punch in to the office.

Morning. I walked around a bit, quick to understand why this place is called "Morning Mist."
I noticed a few monkeys in the trees. I walked to a certain vantage point to get these shots of them framed by the morning sun.

In Bangkok there was still some evidence of the riots that happened a few weeks prior.


joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine to,and be a follower..thanks and God bless..

parker said...

love that photo of the hunting lodge (?) place with the alligator skin on the wall. rad photo.